Morgan & Lamplugh (merged with Gaby Hardwicke in 2011)
Morgan & Lamplugh was founded by Major Morgan in the 1890s as F. W. Morgan Solicitors and was based initially at 9 Wellington Place, Hastings and then from 1911 at 10 Wellington Place.
Major Morgan’s daughter, Dorothy Morgan, became one of the first female solicitors in Britain (the first was admitted in 1922), when she was admitted on 2 February 1925 at the age of 24 and joined her father in practice at 10 Wellington Place.
It is unclear when Major Morgan retired but in 1946 Raymond Lamplugh, who had served with Army Intelligence in World War 2, joined Miss Morgan and the firm became known as Morgan & Lamplugh. Mr Lamplugh had qualified in 1934 with an LLB degree from London University by correspondence course.
In 1968 Miss Morgan retired (she lived until 2000 by which time she was in her hundredth year) and Raymond Lamplugh was joined in practice by his nephew John Lamplugh that November.
In 1981 Gordon Howard-Smith joined Morgan & Lamplugh as an assistant solicitor, followed in 1982 by Mike Gratton (both became partners several years later). The firm was a traditional high street practice that offered a personal service to clients. In the late 1980s Ronan Crummy joined the firm and subsequently became a partner, specialising in criminal law.
In 2003 Morgan & Lamplugh moved to new premises in Wellington Square and in 2005 gave up its criminal law franchise as the criminal department merged with Body & Co in St Leonards. Morgan & Lamplugh then concentrated on private client and family law until 2011 when it merged with Gaby Hardwicke.
If you don't know the email address of your contact or want to make a general enquiry, please use the form below.
Key partners (pre-1945)
Key partners (post-1945)
- George Herbert
- Jethro Arscott
- John Midgley
- Peter Taylor
- Malcolm Walker
- Geoffrey Baker
- Michael Bugden
- John Gregory
- John Raeburn
- Bryan Sagar